Old 08-05-2012, 11:39 AM
Lara122

Question Help bobbin threading an old singer 248? Fashionmate??

Hello!

I got this machine Friday at a charity consignment store -- just after reading one of the 'how to buy a vintage machine' threads! Thanks for that help! I got lucky with it, it had been testing, and was still threaded, with a needle.

It sits in its case, but it had been taken out, and by the time we tinkered with it to get it to sit flat, the bobbin had come out.

The machine is smooth and virtually silent. MUCH quieter than my 70s era kenmore. even my newer sears machine is louder!

BUT -- I cannot thread it properly . . . I thought I almost had it, it made three 1 1/2 inch lines for me that looked ok . . . the tension was wonky, and I was thinking on it. It got a nasty rat's nest of upper thread *under* my fabric. i cleared it, it runs fine again, but . . . obviously I am the problem. I have never threaded a 'flat' bobbin. Both of my machines have bobbin cases, and stand vertical inside the machine, under the needle. This one sits on its side, in front of the needle part. It has a metal slide plate that was missing (I am going to back and ask), so I can see the shuttle race moving smoothly.

Can't upload a picture, but here is an ebay link to a similar one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Singer-Fashi...item4ab4b1bc80

any suggestions?

thanks!