Old 08-07-2012, 10:25 PM
justflyingin

Originally Posted by maryellen2u View Post
Those are remarkable! You did the machine quilting yourself? On a regular machine? Your quilts are huge.
Yes, I am new to machine quilting--at least FMQ. I'm finding it a lot easier than stitch in the ditch, though, which is what i did previously.

A regular machine? Well, that depends on the definition of regular machine. I had a Pfaff Hobby which has about a 6" harp space and quilting stuff on that was almost impossible--very stressful--the feed dogs didn't go down and there was no space!

So, I did some reading and was able to find a new Janome Horizon 7700 here in Poland for under 2K a couple of years ago. It really is easy to FMQ with it. The feed dogs drop with the flip of a switch and there don't seem to be thread issues with the quilting aspect. I can switch from FMQ to sewing with the change of a foot and a flip of a switch for the feed dogs. It is really a nice machine--am very pleased with it. I'd never had a more expensive machine before...but it does make a difference. I'm actually enjoying the quilting part--a lot! I have about 4 more all sandwiched and ready for me to do as soon as it is truly cooler. I've not wanted to handle the hot layers when it is in the 90's, but at the moment it's only 61F...