View Single Post
Old 08-26-2012, 04:25 AM
Edie

Originally Posted by sweet View Post
Although I have not canned lately, we always had new lids. Better be safe than sorry. The cost for lids is small compared to a visit to a doc or hospital.
DO NOT USE LIDS MORE THAN ONCE. THAT IS JUST PLAIN DUMB. I use only Kerr or Ball jars, I save the rings and sterilize them along with the jars and I always put the new lids in hot water (on the stove - gentle bubble), to soften the red ring and make it better for sealing. All the work that you put into canning and the procedure is down the tubes. I wouldn't even touch that food in the jar. Like #1 Mother always says "DO IT RIGHT OR DON'T DO IT AT ALL!"

I hate to be tough like that, but Golly Gee, you could be making up some really good poison there! They don't make instructions to be thrown away. And when you are canning, you want the most sanitary conditions in which to work because that is food to eat and not get sick on! The only time you put a jar in your refrigerator after it has gone through the canning process is when it doesn't ping. And the reason for that is because you probably didn't wipe off the edge of the jar!

I can't understand that person using a used lid. Good Gravy Marie! Edie