Thread: Hand Quilting
View Single Post
Old 08-27-2012, 07:31 AM
laffygiraffe

I have only machine-quilted one quilt and it was a quickie for a baby. I don't like to do it. I prefer the look and activity of hand-quilting. It looks more "homemade" to me. I can quilt and sit with my husband 4 feet away from me on the couch, too. So it is not a solitary actviity.
I adore all the handwork and the wonderful applique on your quilts. They are true heirlooms!
I think it is important to do what you want to do with a hobby. Just don't destroy quilts and heritage in an effort to "get 'er done."
However, I agree wholeheartedly that machine quilting an old quilt top is anathema. IMHO, it turns a potential treasure into a "blanket." I have completed 2 old tops-using cotton batting, cotton thread and cotton backing fabric and intricate hand-quilting, because "polys" didn't exist in 1930-1950s. I chose to finish them as authentically as I could!
I call upon all quilt lovers to pass/sell/give your old tops to someone who will do the same, instead of "whipping them together" just to get done. If you don't have the skill or time or interest, pass them on to someone who does. It is more respectful of previous artists.
If you are a quilting artist (machine or hand) carry on. Please honor our past.

Last edited by laffygiraffe; 08-27-2012 at 07:35 AM.