View Single Post
Old 09-23-2012, 06:14 AM
twinkie
Power Poster

I took a circle of Sturdy cardboard about 5 1/2" around. I covered it like you would a do a large yo-yo with the gathered opening about 1/2 dollar in size. Finish off securely. Your material should look like it has small folds in it around the gathered opening. The cardboard you just covered should be very sturdy. Then I take a can the size of a Fancy Feast cat food can (washed LOL) and stuff the opening with polyfil. It should mound up above the can. Then cover the can completely and gather it in the center of the bottom of the can. When gathering, do not fold the fabric like you were doing a hem as this makes the gather too thick. Gather a single raw edge thickness. Then heavily hot glue the bottom of the can to the area that you gathered around the disc. I also do a good secure stitch closely around the bottom of the can, stitching it to the top of the disc. Make sure you stitch close to the can so the stitches can be covered up with your decorations. You can also offset the opening around the disc and the bottom of the can to do an old timey hat where the rim of the hat was smaller on one edge than it was on the other. Hope this answers your questions.

Originally Posted by Dakota Rose View Post
Love them all and the hat is beautiful. How did you do that one? Also, would love to see a picture of the cake roll. You ladies are so creative!