View Single Post
Old 11-05-2012, 04:12 PM
judylg

Originally Posted by Peckish
I could make the same observations as you regarding the last 4 or 5 shows I've been to, but I realized that as time goes on, I've become a better quilter, don't have any need or want for any new gadgetry, and can either figure out the patterns on my own or create what i want. It makes sense that the vendors have the same fabrics - they all have to purchase from the same manufacturers and they might understand that only certain types of fabrics sell well in your region. So, in other words, maybe it's not the fault of the show, maybe it's just that you're just in a different place than you were 8 years ago.

I've gotten to the point where the American quilt magazines just don't do it for me anymore, everything they publish is the same old same old. Been there done that. However, the Australian and Japanese quilt magazines have some really innovative and gorgeous quilts, and I've been drawing a lot of inspiration from them. Maybe it's time to expand your horizons!
I agree with you Peckish, I do not pick up much at shows anymore, because I do have enough of the tools. Occasionally maybe a ruler, I find I have enough of them. I would be more likely to pick up fabric that I liked. I find at shows I take the time to look over some of the quilts, to see how my work stacks up against them. And you know what? unless they are in a competition and perfect, the ones on show are very similar to what I do, not perfect.