View Single Post
Old 11-18-2012, 12:17 PM
josykatz

Default My new custom Quilting Table Top

I'm new to quilting but have fallen in love with it. I have just a plain singer sewing machine and have been sewing on the living room table. I showed my Mom so she built me a top that will go over any table to turn it into a quilting center and wanted to share it.

She built it with an extra piece of plywood and 2 two by fours. She put my sewing machine on top and drew around it then cut the piece out. She put 1 two by four on the end where the sewing machine goes and nailed it down and cut off the extra piece that was where the sewing machine would go. She used that small cut piece to put on the front on the other side of the sewing machine. The 2nd two by four she didn't nail down so that I could easly carry the pieces around. When ready I just set the other two by four on the table top at the other end and set the top on it. I did have to use a scrap piece of wood to raise my sewing machine upto the exact line so that it was completely flush. I used a piece of vinyal fabric I got at a thrift store to cover the wood top and stapled it down and around then used duck tape to cover all corners so nothing would catch on the wood, thou my Mom had used her sander to sand everything flat. The ducktape was just extra insurance.

This leaves me with space for my small ironing board to fit on one side, a slotted box to store my notions underneath the table and have put all my cutting boards on top for when I need to cut anything.
Eventually I'll get another table but for now this works perfect.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]377334[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 617322_4321848117639_1982923350_o.jpg