View Single Post
Old 11-26-2012, 06:37 PM
AlienQuilter

You're welcome!

Jarenie - I used to use nail polish to coat metal jewelry. When I was a teen, a co-workers husband (who was Navaho) made all of the women a copper bangle bracelet. I wanted to wear it so I kept coating the inside with nail polish.

I have to be careful of clothes too. I remember a sweater that I thought the yarn at first was just shiny turned out to have some type of metal in it - boy was that itchy! I had a nice pair of expensive jeans that had metal rivets around the pockets and also the belt loops. Only wore them one time. I had little round sores for a couple of weeks. (This was when I was a teenager.) Now I have a habit of looking closely at clothes especially ones with snaps.

Also had my ears pierced more than I care to remember. First time I was only 12 and did not realize I was allergic (I was a tomboy). Dad's girlfriend decided to play mother and pierced my ears without asking my Dad first. She accused me of not doctoring my ears 3 times a day. I tried to tell her that it was more like 10 times a day! She wouldn't listen to me or my Dad. Dad got mad and they broke up after that. Well, one good thing came out of that!
I have tried surgical steel, hypoallergenic steel, yellow gold, white gold. The only thing I can wear is string. I would soak the string in alcohol and rotate it through the ears until they healed, then tried the different jewelry - no good. I can wear an expensive gold wedding band - DH says it's Italian gold and does not use nickel - which is probably the culprit in the other metals.

I've heard of people having to wear gloves because they can't even touch a door knob - glad that I'm not that bad!