View Single Post
Old 12-02-2012, 09:38 AM
margie77072

Talking Rethink my opinions.

I just realized today that thanks to the QB I have had to rethink my opinions about some styles of quilts. I really started out with quite a few preconceived opinions about quilts. I wasn't interested in paper piecing because it looked too hard (it's my absolute favorite method for quilt making now). I didn't like rag quilts, looked to unfinished to me. I wasn't thrilled with scrap quilts, either, too unplanned for my tastes etc, etc. You get the idea. This board has forced me to re examine my opinions. Just today QuiltforPD posted the prettiest rag quilt I have ever seen. It was so awesome, now I want to make one. I've seen some truly beautiful scrappy quilts here too. As a matter of fact, I've saved some for inspiration. So, why did I have all those preconceived ideas about quilts? Who knows.....perhaps it was because I had not been exposed to quilting until a few years ago. I'm 50+ years old, so that means I've held some of these opinions for 40+ years. I've missed out on so much about quilting. The funniest thing is, at the beginning of my quilting experience I thought that traditional pieced quilt designs (4-patch, 9-patch, etc.) would be what I loved to do. Guess what, traditional piecing is my least favorite method of quilt making. The idea of doing the same patch over and over is totally unappealing. So I do samplers when doing traditional pieced quilts or I do paper pieced samplers. I just wanted to encourage everyone, especially our younger members, to not dismiss anything about quilting until you have tried it or at the very least have an idea on how it's done. You never know what you may discover.