Old 12-05-2012, 11:10 AM
Sandy1951

Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
I always use a safety tool when using my rotary cutter. I have them all from the stick on plastic guard to Gypsy Grippers to Rule Steady and the Klutz glove. This is the one I use the most: http://quiltersslidelock.com/ and I have both sizes.

Many will say it cost too much but what is it worth to not have a bad cut right now?

I use a cut resistant glove when I go to classes/sewdays. I bought this one: Victorinox Cutlery Performance Shield Cut Resistant Glove, Extra Small at Amazon.

I learned my lesson when I got my first cut. It scared me thinking how bad it could have been so I now use safety tools and will buy any new ones that come on the market.

One ER visit cost will buy a lot of fabric!
Kim,

I hope your finger is less painful today. I am absolutely paranoid about getting a cut on my left hand or fingers. I have really bad lymphedema in my left arm and hand and it takes a long time for any type of cut to heal. I'm very susceptible to infection so am very careful, but as you and others have pointed out, it's just too easy to have the rotary cutter slip. I've tried to find a glove to fit, but due to my arm and hand being horribly swollen and my fingers being short, it's been impossible so far. I'm still looking, but the fingers on all the extra large gloves are too long, which makes them clumsy to wear. Of course, any glove that has fingers that fit mine is impossible to get over my swollen hand. I may have to give up and learn to deal with the long fingers. Frustrating! Anyway, I hope you heal quickly.

BellaBoo,

Thanks for posting about the Quilters' SlideLock. I checked it out and that may be the answer for me. My son just asked what I want for Christmas, so I'm going to text him the site. If he doesn't want to get one or both for me, well, I'll just order them myself. Seems like a much better idea than dealing with a cut on a finger or hand that won't heal. Gosh, who ever thought quilting could be so dangerous!