View Single Post
Old 01-02-2013, 09:54 AM
CarolynMT

I have done alot of work with black fabrics, the key things I would recommend is:
1. Good lighting, as stated before. Although I love using metallic threads on the black. Let loose and have fun!
2. Black batting, with any quilting you will get some bearding from the batting, Hobbs sells a black batting that is 80/20 cotton/poly. It works really well and you dont see white/natural little puffs everywhere.
3. The fabrics you put with black need to be bright or light, if you get too dark it blends and you miss out on the black being the highlight, unless you want to blend (I did that with my french braid, red into black)
4. If you use machingers for your quilting, I recommend turning them around *(you end up switching hands)* cause the black will bleed a little, even if you prewash, on the gloves. Or you can get a pair for dark fabrics and a pair for light fabrics. Personally, I am cheap I just use one side for black/dark and one side for light/white.

And as I said, let loose and enjoy, black can be very striking, it is wonderful for bright varigated threads.