Old 01-05-2013, 09:13 PM
Nanamoms

Originally Posted by mommafank View Post
And I am wondering how many of you guys know where the term Redneck started. It actually started back in the 1930's when the union coal miners were battling the owners for their rights. Many marched across the mtns to Logan and wore red bandanas so they would be able to recogize the union men from the enemy---because if you know the history---there were gun battles.
I didn't know this history but I ALWAYS explain to anyone who call "certain" people rednecks. The reason for it in MS was the vast amount of the property owners grew corn, cotton, and other staples and these were NOT gardens. When they worked the fields, the weather being so hot would always create a sunburn tan around the neck and arms where the short sleeves stopped. Being "redneck" to US mean hard working, loving, sharing people. And there were some who were "richy rich" but it was because they owned more acreage. They worked along side the other workers and certainly didn't sit in their air conditioned houses and wait for the money to roll in.

Call me a "redneck" too. I'm proud to be one. Although, when my daddy planted the"garden" the rows were miles long and we were up a dawn picking whatever was ready at that time.