Old 01-06-2013, 08:13 PM
DustysMomma

Originally Posted by dabbler312 View Post
Do you have a recipe for Frikadeller you wish to share? We make abelskievers and have roolepolsa (sp), cold ham, light fruit salad and meatballs - it used to be our traditional Christmas Eve dinner until a few years ago. I would love to have a traditional danish meatball recipe to go with the rest of the meal.
Oh my, I've never met anyone else who even knew what frikadeller was! I'm not sure that I'll be able to pry the recipe that we used away from my boyfriend (it's his grandmother's), but I had this one because I was going to make it, and when I'd showed it to him, he said it was close.

1 lb each ground veal and pork
2 eggs
1 finely minced onion (we run ours through the grinder attachment on our stand mixer, then strain off most of the water)
2 tsp salt
1-2 tsp fresh ground pepper
1/2 cup breadcrumbs (we used Italian and it turned out fine, or you can use plain
water

Mix all ingredients in a bowl except the water. Add enough water for the breadcrumbs not to make the meat dry. Form into patties the size of small hamburgers and fry over medium heat for 5 minutes per side.

This is traditionally served with boiled potatoes that have been caramelized, and white cabbage that looks like it's been minced until it almost has the consistency of mashed potatoes. They're also served with thin sliced dark bread. Leftovers are usually served on the bread, which has a thin layer of butter on it, as an open-faced sandwich.

Rolepolse is something I miss when we're not there, but since we can't get the breakfast rolls here, it's OK. We got an abelskiever pan from Denmark and brought it home, and they have both a cookbook and the generic mix for it at World Market here, which we got before Christmas but haven't tried yet.

Enjoy!