Thread: Sewing Machine
View Single Post
Old 01-25-2013, 12:03 AM
Monroe

The newer the machine the more plastic components and fragile electronics. Decide what your needs are in the short term- straight stitch, zig zag, and maybe a few decorative stitches? Buttonholes? I love the almost indestructible workhorse vintage machines which can be found for $50 or less on Craigslist and Freecycle. Maybe there is a QB member nearby with advice or a machine that needs a new home? Many older machines have cams that snap in to do fancy stitches. Once you are comfortable and know more about what you'd like to do, then go for a fancier machine. If new- be sure the warranty is good locally since many WMart and mail order machines may require mailing away and You pay postage both ways and a diagnosis fee! I bought a Brother CS6000i several years ago on Craigslist from a quilter who was upgrading and it has 60 stitches. It's worked well, has a few minor quirks as the default stitch is to the left instead of center or right so I have to remember to set it to "37" for my stitching. Doesn't especially like heavy denim seams, but I have my 70's Kenmore for that. Avoid all Singers from the mid 70's onward. Generally the quality is poor.

It is difficult to find beginning sewing classes aside from local adult ed, but you can probably find almost anything you need to know about most machines by web searching. Good Luck- folks here are willing to help if you need recommendations about specific machines you are considering- new or vintage.