Thread: Sewing Machine
View Single Post
Old 01-25-2013, 05:41 AM
Scraplady

Do you know anyone who sews or quilts and might be willing to tag along machine-shopping? Sometimes it can be overwhelming and even intimidating when you just know very little about what you're looking for. If you buy from a dealer they should offer a basic class to help you get familiar with your machine, but not usually full on sewing classes. You might try a local quilt guild. There are always folks willing to share the love of their craft and help you get started, no matter how much you know, or don't know.

Having said that, my advice would be to go with an older basic machine, used, from a local dealer. Sewing machines are like cars, they depreciate the minute you walk out of the shop with them. And new technology will be out of date in a year. Unless you just object outright to it not being new, you can get more machine for your money this way. There is nothing wrong with these machines, they've just been traded in for one with more bells and whistles. You'll get the dealer's support and you'lll know that it's been serviced and they almost always come with a limited warranty. I am all for saving money, but I've learned the hard way that nothing beats the support you get from a knowledgeable, trustworthy dealer. My two cents.