View Single Post
Old 01-25-2013, 07:53 AM
ittybittybet

Hi Gayle,

I have taught hand quilting and I love doing applique. Just remember that books are helps for us. We all have to find a way to do it on our own. I will tell you about my experience. I found out that I hate using hoops to do applique. I use old cereal boxes or cracker boxes. I cut my pieces to be appliqued out of those boxes, then I put that on my fabric and cut a smidgen more than 1/4 inch away from the outside edge .You need a little extra fabric to turn around the cereal box. Then I use non-aerosol spray starch and spray the seam allowance and then I iron the seam of fabric around the cereal box. Then I take the cereal box out and I pin my applique piece in place on my quilt. The piece is all turned under and it has some starch in it so it is a little stiff. Also, it has some height because of the thickness of the cereal box. I simply put a pin in the center of my applique piece and then I applique the piece down. If I were you, I would make some pieces to practice with before you actually start your project. Happy appliqueing!