View Single Post
Old 01-25-2013, 09:24 PM
GrannieAnnie

Originally Posted by Monroe View Post
The Salvation Army and Goodwills within a 30 mile radius of me don't carry fabrics, only a very rare and broken parts machine, and clothing/sheets are outrageously priced! Most merchandise is broken and missing parts. Cheap dinnerware sets are sold by the piece- plates $2, etc. The clearance men's shirts from WalMart that had been 3.99 with the tag still in it are tagged there at 7.99, etc. I am lucky enough to have a community Thrift Shop 3 miles away- decent men's shirts are only $1-$3! If they close I don't know where I'll go. Very occasionally I'll find nice fabric, but that's probably because someone from my Guild got there before me. All proceeds stay local. I ration my visits to 2x/month since there are bills to be paid. I don't go to garage sales, but do occasionally have good luck with Freecycle and Craigslist. Salvation Army donations from here immediately go out of state to a sorting warehouse. I picked up some books from a quilter that was moving and she'd just sent her husband to the SA with tubs of LQS fabrics! I raced there and was curtly told they were in the back and I could not buy them- at any price, that commonly fabric is just tossed since no one sews any more! I almost cried- missed the drop off by 15 minutes.
I"ve not been on Freecycle long but have never seen any sewing stuff. Craigslist has fabric once in a while, but generally the prices are way high.

OH, BTW, is $325 a good price for a Bernina Activia 125? (I think that was the name)