Old 02-05-2013, 10:27 AM
oldtnquiltinglady

This must be a fever that is going around this year--I haven't made home-made biscuits in 15 years (the kind you use a dough bowl and sifter, remember), but we went to eat at the Loveless Cafe as few weeks ago, and those were ABSOLUTELY the best biscuits I have ever eaten (I ate three before we even placed our food order). They would not even pretend to let me have their recipe even though they sell the mix in the little store they run. The girl did have the wherewithall to tell me that even if I did buy it, and make the biscuits with it, they would not taste like the ones we ate at lunch because of all the preservatives they have to add to the mixes.

So, I have gotten out my dough bowl, etc. and have made several pans of biscuits instead of heading out to my sewing room these past few weeks. And today, I think I got close. My secret is Crisco, self-rising flour, buttermilk, a little bit of sugar, and as little working as you can. Make them stand up nice and round as you gather up just a little dough and form about a 2" round ball, real close together, brush the tops with melted butter; then when they are done, brush the tops again with melted butter. If you don't know how to make biscuits this way, get someone to teach you how--no rolling out on a floured surface. It is amazingly quick, once you learn how. Yum yum yum.....

Last edited by oldtnquiltinglady; 02-05-2013 at 10:29 AM.