Old 02-11-2013, 12:47 PM
margecam52

It was set up for drapery...so with a 40wt thread...even a 35wt, both top and bobbin, and a size 16 or 18 needle (probably has a 21 or 22 in it with Nylon thread, prob 25 or 30wt)...I'd test it out and try it. Remember though it's probably 10-20 times faster than a home machine...as fast as you say "zip" 2 feet of seam is sewn......takes practice...but you can do it.

I sewed a "boot" that was made of twenty-two 7" circles, with a 3-1/2" diameter hole in the centers on mine. They ended looking like an accordian...so they would spring back and forth along with the hydrolic shaft of some very large machines. You can sew circles if very careful...but not freehand...you could mark the quilt with large designs and follow those lines...I would not hesitate to try it. That walking foot may be a blessing on quilts.

Also...that big table...very helpful when doing tuck n roll upholstery, stitching diamond tuck, and would be great support for quilts. I used to make the tuck n roll a lot, even for furniture fabrics (velvets)...called those channels though..too wide to be tuck n roll. Does your hubby do auto restorations?

The two memory quilts I'm working on are from a classic car restorer's clothes...paint spots desired, lol. I just embroidered a dragonfly on some very heavy auto leather for these quilts...came out very nicely on my 12 needle machine.

Originally Posted by Teeler View Post
Boat interiors/seats/upholstery...canvas work like pop up campers...furniture cushions...