Old 03-03-2013, 09:44 AM
selm

quote from cricket_iscute:
For the person that warned about sizes on patterns, here's a way around that: Get the closest sizes to your measurements, lay out the pattern on the straigt of grain of fabric, measure each part of you and then that part on the pattern, extend the pattern with chalk lines if necessary (or reduce it), and cut on the chalk lines.
Originally Posted by seasaw2mch View Post
Yep I felt the same way, seams to small.
And may I add something about the patterns sizes: I tell everyone to measure your body and buy the pattern according to your largest part. I find it easier to reduce a pattern because you have the extra space to draw on rather then adding paper onto the pattern to enlarge one.
Don't you have to add "ease" to your measurements? I don't remember exactly but think it is 1 - 1 1/2" and I don't remember if it is for all measurements or only some. You might want to search on this before going forward.
I never was good on fitting adult measurements but did well on making children's clothes. I did make my daughter's wedding dress and made the bodice in muslin and fitted it to her before I made it in the wedding dress material. It came out very good. So, if you're making extra special items, making it in muslin first really works.