View Single Post
Old 03-08-2013, 07:26 AM
x7lillies

Originally Posted by Buckeye Rose View Post
I told her it wouldn't be less than $350 and possibly more depending on pattern and final size requirements (those extra thick mattresses can turn a full size into a queen size). She hemhawed around and finally told me that was too much.
Wow! $350 is really inexpensive, especially for a quilt of that size. I charge around $300 for a lap/crib sized quilt. Queen sized quilts are $700 and up, depending on the number of pieces and the difficulty of the piecing. I factor in my time and charge $10 an hour. I am skilled labor, after all (truly, $10 is low). I mean, my goodness. Fabric, batting, and thread for a full-sized quilt can get as high as $250. For the 25-35 hours or so you're spending on shopping for fabric, planning the quilt, piecing it, and quilting it, you're only charging $100 more? That's like $3.50 an hour.

If people are going to under-value my time and skill that much, they don't deserve a handmade quilt and I point them to Walmart.

Don (isewman) - For a lap-sized quilt, you should charge at least $200 for pattern choice, cutting, piecing, and quilting. Even though they gave you the fabric for it, it still represents a lot of your time and your effort, not to mention time lost making quilts for family or yourself. If they truly value handmade quilts, they will think that's a fair offer.