View Single Post
Old 03-09-2013, 06:32 AM
Bneighbor

Two weeks I started the long process of cleaning and re organizing my sewing room...I had reached a point awhile back were certain things in my life did not matter. I have taken control again and have decided to " clean my home, my health and clean my life". And I am excited.
I did not start out to collect a stash, it happened over years of sewing. But it became overwhelming, and brought on depression. I had so many projects I wanted to do, but the mess just got in the way. I have not bought any "stash" fabric for almost 3 years. I only buy fabrics if I need something for a specific project AND 2/3 of the project fabrics HAVE to come from the stash.
I have spent the last week, cleaning, honest de cluttering. I took bins and bags and marked them as keep, donate, trash. Yesterday I donated two 55 gallon trash bags of no-longer-loved fabrics to a local charity. It was scary but so satisfying. I know someone will love them again. They are scheduled for another pick up in two weeks, I plan on donating at least 2 to 3 more bags, if not more.
As I am sorting, I am folding and organizing by color and style. This may change, but it is a start. Today I have wire shelving being set up and I will start putting my stash out. I want to see what I have...no more stuffed into boxes...that should be a constant reminder. Hubby has been so helpful and understanding. He did not understand how I was feeling, but joined me last evening by moving boxes for me. He said nothing about the amount, only that he hoped that what I give away become a joy of giving, and my new room should be inspiring.
He took some measurements too, saying he had a surprise for me. Something to do with thread because he asked for an extra spool of embroidery thread and asked how many I had and how many more I needed to have the entire color line. !?!?!