View Single Post
Old 03-22-2013, 02:42 AM
J Miller

Originally Posted by DogHouseMom View Post
<snip>

I don't understand something. If all I do to a machine is clean it, no parts replaced or repaired ... just cleaned and polished ... why is it not "restored" to it's original condition as opposed to "refurbished"??

Or are you saying that "restoration" MUST include the replacement or rebuild of some parts??

And lastly ... some "fine lines" ... where do items such as needles, and belts come into play?? Needles especially are considered 'consumables' ... like motor oil ... and on some machines only the original needles can be used, but on others newly manufactured and readily available needles can be used. Belts are also somewhat 'consumable' .. is it "original" if the same type of belt was used?
If all you did was clean it and polish it, then you just serviced it. It is not restored because it's still original.

A restoration is much more than a refurbish or servicing. If a machine is in such good condition that it doesn't need repaired, rebuilt, parts replaces, it's original. Much better for the collector than a "restored" machine.

Needles, belts, should be original. Simanco needles and belts can be found, I have some. To make a machine 100% original it needs OEM parts. Any other state makes it a used, refurbished, repaired machine.

Joe