View Single Post
Old 03-30-2013, 09:01 AM
karate lady

Dear JRHerald I am no youngster, 78 this month, but have only been piece quilting for about 2 years. My quilts are simple using blocks, strips etc. On a limited budget I have to find ways to feed my habit. smile. I shop on line for a lot of my fabric, (when my Joann gift cards run out) and find fabric.com and connectingthreads great . There are hundreds of free patterns on line. I also get fabric from Yard sales, thrift stores and flea mkts. Also when folks know you quilt, they are very generous with fabric. sometimes when a family member dies or they just don't do it any more. I am sorry you have met with negative reaction from quilters in your area. One place I go also has a "quilt police" but I don't let it bother me as I know we all started out somewhere....Luckily, she is willing to show how to do it right. LOL So keep an eye out in the paper for local yard sales (do they do that in DC?) esp estate sales, and sometimes they will actually note it is a quilters stash. But be early, those quilters will be there. smile...Also go to a site called Quiltingboard.com They are from all over the world and any thing you need to know....someone will give you the answers and they don't care if you are young. In fact they love newbies. Also they have some cute quilting jokes. LOL.. Hope this give you a fresh outlook on young quilters and some ideas to save money on quilting supplies. Remember...put out the fact that you quilt, maybe someone has a box of fabric from thier mom hidden away.