Old 04-05-2013, 11:57 AM
Janis

We stopped at a yard sale today after driving past several others that didn't look like they had much. The guy started coming over to the car, otherwise we might have just kept on going this time too. Well, I asked him if he had any old sewing machines, and he said that he had one that was older than both of us, (we are senior citizens) and went in to get it. It is a hand crank Gritzner Durlagh. YEA!!! I have a HAND CRANK!!! I pointed out that the top case was in bad shape. Someone had tried to fit it down on the machine with the handle out, which doesn't work. I made sure there was a bobbin in the shuttle, and turned the hand wheel, which was quite stiff, but did move. I offered him $25.00, thinking he'd want more, but he took it! Wonder if I could have gotten it for less! Now I've cleaned it and oiled it and it moves smoothly, but the plates to the front, back, and right side don't move yet. Put some oil on them to see if that will help, then may try the blow dryer if needed. NOW I need some information as to how to thread it, what size needles does it need, and any other help that I can get. Don't know the age of it, and can't post pictures. But it does have the mother of pearl flowers in the middle of the base and around the edges of the base in several colors. Any help you can give me will be appreciated. Thanks, Janis