View Single Post
Old 05-05-2013, 04:03 PM
feline fanatic
Power Poster

Default "Elemental" quilting

This quilt came from a client. When she first sent me pictures a sunburst motif immediately popped into my head in the yellow on point squares formed by her blocks. Then waves in all the "cool" colored 4 patch blocks. I envisioned a fern in the purple inner border and it hit me... I was working on an element theme of fire, water, wind and earth. The sunburst represents fire, the waves water. The fern grows from the earth but I wanted more so I adapted a Karen Mctavish water lilly motif for another flower to grow from the earth. For wind I did big swirly spirals in the Kaffe Fasset fabric in the border. the spiral complimented the fabric and suggested wind. I loved working on this quilt. Pat is very artsy and she shows absolutely no fear in combining fabrics. There is quite an eclectic mix in this quilt but all of it works together beautifully to form a whole. As always, I look forward to your comments.

The whole quilt
[ATTACH=CONFIG]411930[/ATTACH]

Flowers for earth:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]411931[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]411932[/ATTACH]

Sunburst for fire:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]411933[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]411934[/ATTACH]

Wave for water. There are 4 continuous waves in every square and then one in each setting triangle. It forms and interesting secondary design
[ATTACH=CONFIG]411935[/ATTACH]

And unfortunately I didn't have good lighting to capture the swirls for wind, this is the best I could do
[ATTACH=CONFIG]411936[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails dsc04047.jpg   dsc04055.jpg   dsc04056.jpg   dsc04051.jpg   dsc04052.jpg  

dsc04054.jpg   dsc04048.jpg