Thread: quick question.
View Single Post
Old 05-09-2013, 07:58 AM
Friday1961

Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
Are you machine quilting on a domestic sewing machine? If so, I recommend *heavily* starching the backing fabric (or the backing, if already sewn together) before sandwiching. Starch stabilizes the backing so it is much less likely to pucker or fold over on itself while quilting. My method is to use a 1:1 solution of Sta-Flo liquid laundry starch and water, "paint" this solution onto the yardage using a large wall painting brush until fabric is saturated, wait a couple of minutes to make sure the starch has penetrated the fibers, toss in dryer, and iron with steam. I also spray starch the top before sandwiching, to help stabilize the top.

Finally, I recommend spray basting instead of pinning. I actually ruined an expensive walking foot when it got caught on a safety pin I had missed taking out. Spray basting is better than pinning because all 3 layers of the sandwich are connected continuously; with pins the layers are connected only at the pins, and layers are more likely to shift.

If you do pin, then a rule-of-thumb is to have a pin every 4 inches in every direction -- about a fist width apart from each other.
Excellent advice which I will follow next time I sandwich a quilt. The starching, I mean. I love the spray baste--instead of pins or actual basting--but the backing will fold or pucker, I've found, no matter how securely you have it taped or clamped down. I've just quilted a smallish quilt on my DSM and to my dismay, found several folds in the backing, which I then had to unsew and iron out. I can see that starching in order to stablize the fabric would be a great way to reduce the chances of this. Thanks for this tip, Prism99!