Old 05-11-2013, 04:42 PM
ckcowl
Power Poster

I've made quite a few quilts that contain a great variety of fabrics, weights, textures, types---my sister's 'crazy pieced' quilt contains cottons (quilt shop fabric-not flimsy/cheap lightweight fabric), flannels (double sided-meaty flannels) corduroys, wools, cotton velvet, batiks, homespun's, and 3 different weight denims (I think I'm missing a couple) anyway- the backing is a hand dyed double sided flannel--it is a fabulous quilt! and has held up through multiple washes, and dogs sleeping on the bed (when they don't get caught) for 6 years & counting....I tend to use what ever strikes my fancy- fits in with what I am doing at the moment- as long as everything can be laundered together- since I felt all of my wools they wash fine- all of my flannel, wool quilts are laundered in a washing machine, dried in the dryer- I do pre-wash the flannels & home spun . the velvet I was worried about but she really wanted it- it has been fine too. I've made many quilts this way- sometimes I add wool appliques to a regular cotton quilt, or fuzzy fleece to add a teddy bear...I've never been disappointed when I've mixed many different fabrics in a quilt- and all of my quilts are bed quilts- I've never really got into the 'wall-hanging' creations.