Old 05-19-2013, 11:10 PM
nancia

i had prophylactic subcutaneous mastectomies in 1985. my sister had died at 30 from bc. the later lab tests showed that i would have had cancer in both breasts within 2 yrs if i had left them alone. i was 34 and the mother of 2. the third arrived the next year. my logic was you can't get cancer in something you don't have. my other sister has since lost both breasts to cancer and my mom gave up one. we used to call her the keeper of the family boob. dad was the guardian. 8-)) both have since passed. my sister's disease and death was a wake up call! without her the rest of us would have died of breast cancer. my odds were sky high and i went against drs' recommendations and had the surgery. it was a gut core decision on my part. i knew they had to go. my dh was wonderful! he said he was behind any decision i made and supported me totally. his stance was there was nothing they could remove that would make me less desirable and he loved me for me. we just celebrated 37 yrs together. every day is a gift! i understand angelina's motivation and logic. there isn't anything i wouldn't do within my power for my children. they are now 34, 32 and 26. when i had the surgery the boys were 4 and 6. i wouldn't have missed the following years for anything! and now i have a dgd! the cherry on top of life's sundae!