View Single Post
Old 05-25-2013, 06:03 AM
J Miller

Originally Posted by JENNR8R
Well, I'm really surprised... It has sentimental value, and my brother who is on a fixed income wanted it. I thought I would have it serviced before I gave it to him.

Does anyone have any idea how to find a reputable repair shop in my area? It is so heavy that I'm afraid the shipping would probably cost more than it's worth.
Shipping would run "around" $35.00. I've paid anywhere from $18.00 to 40.00 for shipping on machines I've won on Shopgoodwill.com. And this one might be heavier than the current plastic junque, but it's a lot lighter than the full sized machines are.
Now to find a good repair shop: I'd call the shops in your area and tell them you have a simple 1950s vintage Japanese straight stitch sewing machine that needs serviced and possibly some motor repair. Ask them if they actually service machines like that or not. Then be prepared for the old "I gotta see it to be sure". When you get that, tell them "Thanks but no Thanks" and hang up. "IF" they are a repair shop they will know weather or not they repair these machines.

Servicing machines of that type is easy. If you can follow the instructions on a pattern and make the item, you can service the machine. Changing out the motor if needed is also easy. Don't over think it.

I meant what I said in my first response.

Originally Posted by LoisM View Post
Joe...is this machine a candidate for a hand-crank??
More than likely, but I'd just fix the motor, and be thrilled with it.