Old 06-13-2013, 04:53 AM
Peggybluebird

Interesting reading on this thread! My local guild has around 400 members, $30 a year for dues, an extra $5 is charged to those who require a mailed copy of the monthly newsletter; the rest of us get it by email. Great speaker each month, a morning and an evening meeting with a workshop in between, paid for by participants. Meeting has a small amount of business to start with, then a great Show and Tell, followed by the speaker, who usually is very impressed by what was Shown and Told! A Quilt Show every other year raises some money, not sure of the amount. The mission of this guild is to help others and to share our skills. There is a guild committee called SOS, Share Our Skills, which receives donated fabric constantly, and is offered to the members at each meeting. Huge numbers of quilts are made by members and donated to several local institutions, care facilities, shelters, etc. The members are so encouraging and helpful to each other, and never have I seen any negativity. They are such good givers! Two retreats are held each year and they are always sold out early. I look forward each month to the meetings----I always learn something and see something new each meeting! Shop Talk is a part of each meeting where a representative from any quilt-related business in the area can come to say a few words, pass out brochures, coupons, etc. Good venue for a just-opening shop to get the word out. We meet in an American Legion hall, not sure if we pay to rent or not, but we have it for the whole day, 12+ hours. The board of the guild meets monthly in a rent-free neighborhood association building. Bus trips to area quilt shows are offered. Quilts of Valor is a part of this guild as well. A great group of men and women!