Old 07-06-2013, 05:09 AM
DustysMomma

I'm not into hunting myself either, but I have a great respect for people who hunt. I kept Dusty away form all guns, except squirt guns that looked nothing like a real gun, until he was 8, when he was old enough to understand the gravity and responsibility that comes with them. We got him a pellet rifle then, and if he ever picked it up, it had to go straight outside. I told him if I ever saw him point it at a person, he'd never see it again. It was never a problem. (Yes, I was a strict, mean mommy.) He's been hunting a few times, but only with the one person I trusted to teach him safety, responsibility, and respect for the environment he was going into.

My dad was a helicopter sniper in Vietnam, and we always had guns in the house growing up, but I was never even curious about them. Dad told me I had to know how to handle one, when I was in my early teens, so I learned to shoot a big bad a** military style rifle, then never had any desire to be that close to one again. My ex-husband bought a Glock when Dusty was a toddler, but I wouldn't let him bring it in the house or flash it around because of Dusty. He had to have it, then only ever shot it twice.