Old 07-21-2013, 05:58 AM
DustysMomma

Doesn't look to me like he's smiling. It looks more like a "rut row raggy, rey rot a run" (translation "uh oh Shaggy, they got a gun") kind of look. The guy who used to be my ex's partner who I do bookkeeping for is a big hunting & fishing fanatic, and he has a stuffed wild turkey in his office. Imagine if you will, a room in utter chaos, which looks like it's never been vacuumed, swept, or dusted in the 6 or so years that a construction contractor has used it for his office. Paperwork and house plans everywhere, the typical stuff. I go in there to work, and I don't touch anything really except what I use, because I don't get paid to clean. So I go in there one day, and I've been there probably an hour. I get up to get something off the printer on the filing cabinet to my right, and that's when I see a turkey staring at me from the floor next to the door. I wonder if they heard me squeal in the next building when it startled me. I'd walked past it and hadn't noticed it when I came in, and it looked so alive that it scared the mess out of me. Took me a minute to realize it was stuffed. I sent him a text message that I'd met his new friend, and after I got over him scaring me to death, we were getting along just fine. He showed up at the office a little later and says "Is that mouse back?" I about came unglued. I told him it was a good thing that I was finished for the day by the time he told me that, because I had to go if there was a mouse in his office. He tried to give me the "he don't eat much" speech, but I wasn't having it.

When I was a teenager, I spent some time at Camp Tracy Children's Home. When I came home, my stepmother had turned my bedroom into storage and had my stuff packed up in boxes and put in an old trailer that was being stored on the property where we lived, which was also where my dad's RV repair and storage business was. My mattress & box springs were still in the room, but she'd given away my bed frame and nightstand (I had never had a dresser or headboard, but while I was gone, both her kids who still lived at home got new bedroom suits). Well, my stepbrother and I went and dug out my stuff & brought it back up to the house and took all the crap out to where it should have been stored in the bed empty room on the front of the house. In the process, we found out there were mice all over in that trailer, and they'd gotten in some of my stuff. Next thing you know, we had them in the house, and here I was sleeping on a matress & box springs on the floor. I kept a towel stuffed under my door at all times, but I was laying in bed one night and someone got up and went in the bathroom, which was right next to my room, and I'm sitting there looking at the tiniest amount of light coming in under the door when I see it move and realize there's something out there. I turn on my light just in time to see a mouse come out from under the door and run in my closet. I screamed and jumped up on the bed, not that it'd have done any good that low to the ground, and my dad opens the bedroom door & out the door I went. I slept on the couch that night. The next day he finally went and bought traps. The 3 kids sat in the living room while he put them out, then he comes in and sits with us and tells us to be quiet. It wasn't 2 minutes before we heard the first trap go off. Then it was snap snap snap all over. He emptied the traps into a plastic grocery bag hung on the back door and put them back out and we did it again. We stopped counting at 26 mice. I hated that house. I hated who I lived there with too, the step-folks anyway. I was only back there 6 months before I moved out, and 6 weeks later I moved to Alabama with my ex-husband.

Living there was almost as much fun as when we lived with my mom's boyfriend in 4th and 5th grade, where we all slept in old hospital beds in a house with no carpet that was mid-remodel but was never finished, where I'd wake up in the middle of the night with a roach crawling on me. Of course, I was at the other end of the house from everyone else, so nobody heard me scream.

I'm so glad that the men in my life since have been as adamant about no bugs and wild critters in the house as I have. However, Dusty did have a lizard he caught in the yard as a pet for a while, but I'm OK with them & frogs.