View Single Post
Old 07-28-2013, 07:34 AM
Jratcliff

Originally Posted by Gee Hope View Post
I have a stabilizer question. I want to embroider baby quilt blocks that have an outline-type design with many small spaces so I could not pick all of the tear-away stabilizer out if I use tear-away. I do not want to cut-away around the design so the edge of the cut-away would show around the design on the block. Could I...Should I...:
leave the cut-away the same size as the block and quilt over it? If so, what cut-away type and thickness?
use fabric wash-away?
...???
I will appreciate your recommendations. I used tear-away when I had denser designs on some quilt blocks and I have used embroidery to 'quilt' some areas and did not use any stabilizer on the sandwich, but I would like to have these baby squares embroidered before I start to add other blocks for the quilt top.
This is probably soooo technically incorrect that many embroiderers out there will be cringing when they read it, but it seems to work for me. I use a very light weight knit iron on interfacing and cover the back of the block, especially when I'm using white fabric. Actually, I am doing flannel right now and still use the interfacing over all. For the actual embroidery, I hoop WSS and the fabric, and then have been putting another piece of WSS on the top. Stitch the design and rinse out the stabilizer. The designs I am using are not densely sewn, but are more open like redwork designs and I am not noticing any distortion. I have measured both before and after and there is no change in the size of the block. I get the interfacing about 5 yards at a shot at Joann's with a 50% off coupon. May be all wrong, but hey - it works great for me! Jane