Old 07-29-2013, 12:14 PM
Prism99
Power Poster

Did you wash the light cotton fabric? With many fabrics, that will tighten up the weave enough so that you do not have to line it. Especially for a beginning quilter, I would recommend against using this fabric if you need to line it. You could probably use it with a fusible interfacing for a wallhanging; the problem with fusibles is that they will not necessarily stand up to washing, as is needed for bed quilts.

As for your list, I think you should get more rulers. Just to square up fabric for straight cuts, you benefit a lot from two rulers. Plus there are lots of very good specialty rulers that can make triangles and other shapes much easier to cut and piece. (I am thinking especially of the EZ triangle rulers.) If at all possible, keep all straight rulers the same brand so they have the same line marking widths, etc. (This is not as important for specialty rulers.) I would also recommend getting a June Tailor Shape Cut mat for cutting strips efficiently. Many wonderful, easy quilt patterns use strips.

For thread, I would recommend getting a cone of Aurifil 50wt 2-ply. This is one of the best threads for both piecing and quilting on a domestic machine, it is fine so that the bobbin holds more of it (requiring fewer bobbin changes as you sew), and it creates very little lint. Alternatively, buy a variety of spools of Aurifil (orange spool is 50wt 2-ply) so you have a variety of colors.

I'm not sure what kind of starch you would want to bring back. Why not save some weight and volume by making up your own starch in India? It can be made from corn starch (the regular white powder used in cooking), potato starch, rice starch, etc. There are recipes online.

With the savings in weight and volume made by eliminating starch, I would load up on a variety of fusibles (especially Steam-a-Seam lite and Misty Fuse).

Also, if you cannot find them in India, buy a roll of Reynolds freezer paper and a couple of rolls of parchment paper (very inexpensive at Walmart). Both have lots of uses in quilting and can be hard to find in other countries.

Do you use washing machines there? If so, and if you can transport a liquid, I would recommend getting Synthrapol instead of the color catchers. You might also want to get Retayne.

What battings are you considering? And are you planning to make wall hangings or bed quilts or both?

Edit: I would also add, especially if you decide to go the cone thread route, that the new thread stand from Superior Threads comes in really handy when you have thread problems. I love mine.

Also, regarding thread, I would not rule out polyester -- especially for quilting. I love Glide for quilting (available online).

Last edited by Prism99; 07-29-2013 at 12:18 PM.