Old 07-30-2013, 12:31 PM
justflyingin

I think I'm in a similar boat to you--but one thing I would check is try to find out what is available there. Are you an American and will be coming back to the states frequently?

I've seen some really neat things sold that are "made in India". This must mean that they sell thread, and probably interfacing there. Specific fabric that you like? That you MUST import, probably. This is what I have discovered about Poland...

This is what I've gotten from the USA and brought over.
1. rotary cutting mat and rotary cutter (at least the first one), extra blades (!!! #1 importance)
2. heat n bond (but I didn't get this til about a year ago--you can leave out if no room but it's not heavy
3. someone gave me a roll of freezer paper. Haven't used it yet. It was very heavy.
4. I first brought over thread--and then I found out guess what....THEY SELL THREAD HERE! Duh! Of course. No, it may not be what some of you use, but you know, it is so freeing to be able to get something "locally" and so much cheaper than shipping. Then, when I got into embroidery, I've found out actually that the name brand embroidery thread (Madeira) seems to be cheaper here than in the US.)
5. Interfacing and stuff like fusible fleece if you want it for projects I have found a store that sells it here, though...(not the fusible fleece, but interfacing)
6. Sewing supplies-I'm going to assume that you already have some or that the ladies there use scissors, seam rippers, rulers, etc. You may need to make sure you have an inch ruler/tape measure if that is what you are more comfortable with. When it comes to quilting, it is handy to have them--and I found that my little 6" clear plastic (Fiskars brand--found in a set with a tiny mat) has been a handy tool!
7. I agree about the quarter inch foot but if you can find a sewing machine dealer in your city, they may have it. Also make sure your machine has a free motion quilting/darning foot.
8. Rulers...I agree with some of the others here, but I doubt you need as many specialty rulers as some indicate. I have the 6" wide one (I think mine is actually 5.5" wide) but I use a 3" wide ruler a lot--it's a lot easier to handle. I also like a 6" square and I use my 2.5" square one a lot and today I found myself using a 10.5" square for trimming up blocks. They are nice, but not necessary. You NEED only one or two until you get into more specialized patterns. But need/convenience are two different things.

I with that I had discovered many years ago what they have here--so, I wish for you that you could find a store that sells all the "things that go with fabric" so you can see what is already there. But my list is what I've found most helpful...

AND for me, it's mostly FABRIC!! That's really what I bring over except for things found at a really great deal--example, I found some 5000 yard/m cones of embroidery thread on Ebay for a good deal. I brought it over.

Last edited by justflyingin; 07-30-2013 at 12:34 PM.