View Single Post
Old 08-04-2013, 04:47 AM
romanojg

Originally Posted by Nanny's dollface View Post
Thank you all for your recommendations. I didn't know about putting washable stabilizer on top of fabric if I use fabric that's washable. Unfortunately, the fabric that I have been using is dry cleanable only. I will try the double layer of stabilizer (perpendiciular to each other) and a size 90 needle to see if that works better. Should I us quilting basting spray between the layers and on back of fabric? I am not sure about basting the perimeter of the hoop - I wonder if stitches will show on dry cleanable fabric?
There is also a heat soluable stabilizer that goes away with heat. I use quilt basting spray alot, and have no problem. I try to give it a minute or two to dry before emb on it. Alot of machines have a machine basting stitch that if you push the button it will automatically stitch the perimeter of the hoop, you can also use straight pins to hold things in place just make sure they aren't in the sewing area. Blue painters tape is also a good tool to have around when emb. Sometimes I have stabilizer that barely fits in the hoop so I help secure it tighter by putting down some painters tape and then use the metal clips that came with my machine. The basting spray is also great when you are emb and get a tear in the stabilizer, just spray the area and attach a scrap piece of stablizier and you are good to go. If I need multiple layers of stablizier but the designs are taking up the whole area of the hoop I put one layer in the hoop and then use my scraps of WSS and spray attach them to where needed. I use a lot less stabilizier this way and it works great. Also save you scraps of WSS not only for patching but the small pieces can be soak in water and create a "starch" like substance for your fabric which is great for FSL items.