Thread: FMQ ...stuck!
View Single Post
Old 08-12-2013, 09:10 AM
Scraplady

Aside from PRACTICE, the best FMQ advice I ever got was to RELAX. A fellow guild member once said, "Start every session with a glass of wine!" Music also helps a lot. I used to have to constantly remind myself to drop my shoulders and take a breath now and then.

The other thing that really helps me is adequate support for the quilt. For a large project, I set up a small table behind and another beside my sewing table to take all the extra weight of the quilt. An ironing board works too. Then I "puddle" the quilt around the machine and make sure the section I'm working on nice and flat. I make sure that small section (about one square foot) can move freely.

I've also concluded that FMQ is like handwriting. No two quilters will have the same style. My loops and flowers are not going to look exactly like yours, and that's okay. Once I stopped trying to quilt like everyone else and allowed my own style to develop, it became a lot easier and I now actually LIKE what I do. Quilting should be fun! We are way too hard on ourselves.