Old 08-24-2013, 07:32 AM
carslo

I am so sorry to hear this as I was the one that made this tutorial. Thanks for alerting us all about this - if you are still looking for an affordable alternative to Elmer's Washable School glue you could try the homemade spray glue.

I put 2 cups of water in a pot and add 1/2 tsp salt bring that to a boil. In a jar with a lid or a gravy shaker put 3 to 5 tablespoons of regular flour and 1 cup of cold water. I say 3 - 5 because sometimes 3 is good and sometimes 5 is better ( does flour come in different grades in the USA?) Now whisk the flour mixture into the boiling water as if you are making gravy - cook for 2 minutes stirring I turn the temp. down on my gas stove if you have electric you might have to maintain a high heat. In a large spray bottle from the 99 cent, $1.00 Store, Dollar Tree or Dollar Giant (did I get all those type of stores mentioned pour this mixture into the bottle I use a funnel to pour it in. Now top the spray bottle off with rubbing alcohol - also available at the above mentioned store. Shake it up and you have a great spray basting material.
I have been using this and also adding a dollop of Elmer's Washable School Glue. It does not come out in a fine mist like 505 would but it is working for me and is cheap to make. I heat set the glue , flip the quilt over and do the other side and then lay the quilt over the guest bed to dry over night. Someone mentioned that bugs might be attracted to the flour and water mixture so be aware of that.