View Single Post
Old 08-28-2013, 03:21 PM
oksewglad
Power Poster

Thanks for the kind remarks
Yes Rhonda it is a pie safe with a hutch like top--it was left in my old farmhouse basement by the family who had lived here for a long time (50 years for one generation; not sure how long the preceding generation lived here). When I brought it up it was painted with a green paint (silly me I don't care for green) but it's made with square nails. First I painted it blue and antiqued it (this was the 70's you know) and used it as open shelving for quite some time as the doors were gone. I should've never painted it because I'm sure that was an original "milk paint" finish--antique value just plummeted in one swipe of the paint brush! When oldest son was about 12 and in 4-H he punched the tin designs for me and then nailed them to simple butt jointed frames. Fast forward 30 years and it's time for a redo. I'm thinking of having DS oldest son (now 12 yo) make new oak frames and put the tin designs in properly as a 4-H project. Somewhat of a circular project don't you think?

I had the 9P's made--sometimes I just mindlessly sew scraps together into 9P's or 4 P's. These I used 1" scraps on for a 1 1/2" block. The strings were just that--strings and odds and ends foundation pieced to a 2 inch square to finish at 1 1/2". The log cabin uses 3/4" wide pieces. The Hole in the Barn door blocks are also 1 1/2" finished.

Glad I contributed to you smile count today Ronda!