Old 08-30-2013, 03:16 PM
bakermom

I don't think it is always a matter of ignorance. everyone has a limit in their minds of what they will spend for a particular thing.
Suppose this man wanted to do something special for his 4 GKs. In his mind he figures he can afford $75 each. When you tell him your price he knows he just can't do it. doesn't mean that you are over-charging or that he is cheap, it just means that price is above his comfort level.
My DDs and I attend a couple "nice" craft fairs every year. we enjoy looking at the beautiful things others make. we rarely buy anything. The prices are just to high for us. Does not mean we don't appreciate the quality of the work or feel it's not worth the asking price. We just do not feel right spending say $100+ for a wreath or 50 for a light made from a wine bottle.
personally, I wouldn't spend $1500-2000 for a quilt. Even though I know the cost and work that goes into one, I would not/could not spend that much. On the other hand, I have a friend that has a quilt made for each of her children when they marry. she doesn't sew or quilt but wants her kids to have an "heirloom". why? she always wanted one of her grandmother's quilts but she never got one. It's important to her that her kids have what she never did. she pays what her quilter asks without batting an eye.