View Single Post
Old 09-13-2013, 09:55 AM
JC Patrick421

I'm not a quilter, but I stumbled upon this site doing some genealogy research. Hettie William Wood was a member of the Methodist Church in Paris. She was a teacher, one of the ones who settled the Boulder Chautauqua Cottages. She was a gifted artist - studied abroad in Europe at the turn of the century (early 1900s). She was my great-aunt. Her sister, Jattie Wycliffe Wood, was my grandmother, and JW Wood was my great-grandfather, Susanah Emyline (Emma) my great-grandmother. (My dad was 55 when I was born - so I was a generation late to the party!) Hope this helps with your history -
Here are some more facts about her:
[TABLE="width: 100%"]
[TR]
[TD="align: left"]Name: Hettie William WOOD
Given Name: Hettie William
Surname: Wood
Sex: F
Birth: 16 Dec 1877 in Millersville, Cape Girardeau Co MO
Death: 29 Jan 1964 in Paris, Lamar Co TX
Burial: Evergreen Cemetery, Paris, Lamar Co TX
THE PARIS NEWS, 29 Jan 1964. 'Miss Hettie Wood, 903 3rd SW, longtime Paris teacher and artist, died Monday at 9:45 p.m. in Pleasant Grove nursing home here.
She was a daughter of the late J.W. Wood and the former Emma Miller, and was born 16 Dec 1877, in Millersville, Mo. The family moved to Paris when she was two years old, and she attended schools here, later receiving her degree from East Texas State College, and studying art in New York City and in Europe. She had been a member of First Methodist Church 70 years and was a longtime Sunday school teacher. She was a member of the elementary division of the Texas State Teachers Association. Retiring in 1954 after many years as a teacher in Paris public schools, she conducted a kindergarten until her health failed. The funeral, Wednesday at 4 p.m. will be held in Fry and Gibbs chapel by the Rev. Glendell Jones and the Rev. James E. Jones of First Methodist Church, interment being arranged in Evergreen Cemetery.
Surviving are two sisters, Mrs. Clark Estes, Sr., and Mrs. J.W. Love, Paris, and a brother, W.W. Wood, Greenville, besides seven nieces and eight nephews.
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

Last edited by JC Patrick421; 09-13-2013 at 10:05 AM.