View Single Post
Old 09-30-2013, 06:32 PM
mlmack

Originally Posted by Rose_P View Post
The needle was in backwards - maybe. The seller didn't have the manual for this machine, but I happen to have a manual from a Singer 15-90. According to that, the flat side of the needle faces left and the thread goes in from right to left, but the picture seems to indicate the needle clamp thread guide is on the other side from what's on the Mercury. When I got home I threaded it up according to this manual and put in a bobbin case from another machine that happened to fit, as far as I can tell. Even with a completely rusty tension mechanism I was able to get it to pull up the bobbin thread. So that's an encouraging sign, but I suspect that I do have the needle in backwards and the thread going the wrong way. If so, I have to say this machine is already less persnickety than any other I have tried. According to a youtube video I found for threading a Singer 15K, the needle went in opposite from what it does on the 15-90. Is that correct? I think with this one I'll try it the other way and see if it makes stitches. I don't think it's going to be a serious problem as long as it's not hitting anything.
My Precision/Montgomery Ward 15-clone has the needle inserted with the flat side facing right, and is threaded from left to right..