View Single Post
Old 10-02-2013, 07:20 AM
dabbler312

I made eight dozen lefse with all those potatoes and the non profit organization that I made them for sold them for $1.50 per round - translation $144 for my lefse (cost me around $15 to make). Lefse is a big deal in this area - my neighbor Donna across the street helps out at her husbands church - they have a group that gets together and they use 200-250 pounds of potato at one time - they do this in four or five rotations - by seasons end they have literally used 1250 pounds potatoes to make lefse to sell at the Scandanavian Church Bazaar; they're very lucky as they have a machine that peels all those potatoes and they have a newer type of ricer whereas I peel everything the old fashion way with a potato peeler and manual ricer. Lefse is usually served buttered with sugar sprinkled on it and rolled up - some like brown sugar or even jam. Lutheran churches around here will have lutefisk dinners and serve lefse with lutefisk - it's not for every palate (definition - Lutefisk (dried cod treated with lye) must surely be the strangest culinary effort credited to the Norwegians, but what a treat when prepared properly. Everyone of course is not a devotee of lutefisk, but those who are defend it vehemently. Others go to the opposite extreme and claim it's a national disgrace. In years past, the homemaker had to go through the complicated task of treating the dry fish with lye, but now, even in America, frozen lutefisk is readily available at selected fish markets and at Scandinavian delicatessens.)

I
like mine best when it's fresh - the church freezes theirs until they have their big event. I have yet to find lefse at the market that I would say is any good - I'm spoiled by fresh homemade. I barter my lefse for straw bales to do halloween decorating and then keep the straw out for autumn - add pumpkins/goards/corn stalks/ scarecrows/ mums - Welcome Fall

Onto sewing news - my Singer Quantum L-500 has been having issues this past week or so - I called Singer yesterday as they have nothing on their website related to my machine - I asked the customer service rep if I had a ghost machine - yes I do. Very few were distributed as it is exactly like the Pfaff Smarter C1100 machine - in fact Pfaff feet fit my machine - and Singer had to pull their machine. Anywho instead of sending to Singer dealer for repairs I'm going to find a Pfaff technician to see if they can get the timing reset. My decorative stitches are coming out all wonky. Thank goodness for my backup machine.