View Single Post
Old 10-03-2013, 04:16 AM
DustysMomma

Dabbler, these are 2 Scandanavian food items I haven't heard about. I'm going to have to ask the man about them, since he's from Denmark. I poked around online & found that it's considered traditional holiday food, but it's not in southwest Denmark where he's from. He went to college outside Copenhagen though, so even if they don't usually have it on his end of the country, surely he's heard of it. That part of Denmark has a heavy German influence. There are polsevogns (sausage wagons) everywhere in the shopping areas, and the favorite way for the Danes to eat them is called a Fransk hotdog (French hotdog) where they take one end of a baguette and stick it on this machine that makes a hole down in it, then they squirt remoulade sauce in it (which the man also loves on french fries) and stick an extra long hot dog in it. (http://streetcuisine.blogspot.com/20...polsevogn.html) I prefer mine with curry ketchup, so apparently I'm considered a freak, even to the polsevogn owners.

Danish remoulade sauce looks like yellowish chunky mayo to me. It's more like a tartar sauce though. It mayo that's got some mustard, pickle relish, onion, and if you buy it pre-made it usually has finely chopped egg in it too.

I love the polsevogns. Here's a link to a photo:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Da..._dog_stand.jpg

See the red box on the end? That's the motor. Yep, they're driveable. So where would someone sit to drive a polsevogn? On the red box of course! The red metal rod sticking out that goes out of the picture is the steering mechanism. I couldn't believe my eyes the first time I saw one driving down the street in Copenhagen. I tried to get a picture, but all I got was a man sitting on a box.

I hope things go well with your machine Dabbler! At least you do have an option...and a backup!

Edit: I just asked him about the dishes you mentioned & he said "No, that's a Norwegian thing." Now I suddenly have the urge for a franske hotdog!

Last edited by DustysMomma; 10-03-2013 at 04:20 AM.