Old 11-11-2013, 08:32 AM
vintagemotif

Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
I remember reading somewhere that Eldredge made the first Two Spool before the company name changed to National. And I was sure I saw a picture of it and it's a bit different and a lot harder to find. But I can't find hide nor hair of it now! I only meant it'd be fun to own a really old one, not that the machine is funner to operate.

I know my "The Eldredge" is a later model made by National, and is the same as the "National" Two Spool. Mine has a Certificate of Warrenty from 1935. DH and I are the second family to own this machine.

In all my researching, I never came across an earlier model of a Two Spools that looked different. A Two Spools is a very unique machine. No other company made a machine like it. Mr. Eldredge consolidated two companies together in 1890 to form the National sewing machine company. The Eldredge manual for the Two Spools has the same machine and decals as the National. National continued to make the Two Spools, and most likely did so until they ran out of parts for that model. By then, Singer sewing company had a monopoly on the industry.

Eldredge did make some other machines but those machines didn't have the canister to hold the "bobbin" spool.
And National did make a machine called "The Eldredge", which is a different beast from the Eldredge/National Two Spools. National sewing machine company made many machines that were badged. So the same machine could have numerous names.

It could be that you saw a photo of someone's machine that they mistakenly labeled as a Two Spools.