View Single Post
Old 11-27-2013, 04:42 PM
Jan in VA

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Bneighbor, your board name sort of says it all......be a neighbor. (I'm assuming )
So, it's wonderful that you are taking your life into your own hands, making a difficult and perhaps (family-) controversial decision, and arranging details to be able to live well with that decision. Hurray for you! I'm sure your guests will be grateful, and isn't that what the day is all about anyway? May you all be blessed with a lovely time together!

Jan in VA

Originally Posted by Bneighbor
My family and I are at odds because of a family situation that I have decided to take control of. I spend hours a day on the phone with doctors, social workers etc. I am tired of the drama the family causes. Above all of this, I am expected to jump in the car and drive an hour to sit there and then be scrutinized for my choices. So husband and I decided to start another family tradition...we invited two couples who have no family to share this holiday with. The gals have divided up the meal, I am doing the turkey/dressing, the sweet potatoes and cranberry sauce. The other two gals are doing the potatoes, beans,appetizers, treats, bread and desert. Guys are in charge of the refreshments. I embroidered special aprons for the two gals, each with designs that reflect their personalities. I even monogrammed new dinner napkins. I am using one set of my finest china, antique flatware and silver. I am so looking forward to Thanksgiving. I will miss seeing my parents and will stop by today to make sure they don't need anything, mom is ok with what I am doing this year. I will not miss the drama, and I will not allow them to make me feel bad for making this decision.