Old 12-04-2013, 12:23 PM
mckwilter

I am a 60-something grandmother of 4 with a full-time job. It's just my DH and me at home, so I have as much time as I can squeeze out to sew. I've been quilting for about 14 years and find that it is a very solitary past time, which is why I belong to two quilt guilds and one quilting bee. If someone says "retreat", I am there, (1) because I like to go different places and enjoy the scenery and (2) you meet all kinds of people, from the 20-somethings to the 80-somethings, and they all like to do at least one thing that I like to do, too -- quilt! All the retreats I have been to have had a variety of activities, including an optional class, a "field trip" to a LQS which you could go on or not, great food, games, and lots of time to sew. Oh, there's always chocolate, too, if you are so inclined. I am an early riser, so I always take an afternoon nap, or if the weather's nice and there's a comfortable chair outside, I will sit and doze in the fresh air.

Several years ago, a fellow QB-er posted an open invitation to a retreat in East Texas. I pm'd her and got all the information and decided to go. We had never met, and the group was a long-time group of quilting friends who have a retreat twice a year. Talk about wondering what possessed me. Well, I found a wonderful group of women who made me feel right at home. Most of them thought I was soooooo brave to go to a retreat where I knew no one. I'm sorry to say that I lost contact with them, which in the age of FB and email is shameful.

I hope you decide to go to at least one of these retreats. If you don't have fun, you don't have to do it again, but I'll bet you have a good time.