Old 01-10-2014, 04:28 AM
quilterpurpledog

There are many sources of good information and it appears that you have found 'good help' at your local quilt shop. My experience is that they generally enjoy helping people with problems and they like to encourage new quilters. Sometimes some of the other quilter-customers jump in as well. Your project sounds wonderful and caring so be sure to seek out as much advice, step by step, if need be to have success. Some Youtube things are just great and some are not but are worthy of consideration. You might consider looking for on-line classes like Craftsy (there are others). and do them. One suggestion I would make is to be sure to thread baste your quilt in the area of the old part of the quilt just to protect it. Then, if you like, baste the rest in some other way such as pins. I love to use Elmer's school glue to baste but would not do it with this project because it has to be washed to get the glue out and you probably should not do that since you are including older, fragile textiles.