View Single Post
Old 01-15-2014, 06:50 AM
JustAbitCrazy

Working with paper will also dry out your hands. Many years ago a dermatologist recommended Eucerin to me for my cracked bleeding hands. At that time the product was not well known and my drugstore had to order it for me. Now you can buy it in WalMart and all drugstores. There are no dyes or perfumes in it--nothing to irritate or be allergic to. It is an emulsion of water, waxes and oils, including petroleum jelly. It is very greasy (think Crisco, lol!) but it seals the moisture in so it can't evaporate out. The doctor recommended applying it over just washed wet hands, then blotting off excess water with a paper towel. Use it nightly at bedtime. You can wear old cotton socks on your hands like mittens if you like to protect your sheets (very sexy!). Because it's greasy, you can't use it while you work, but if you use it at least nightly (maybe through the day if necessary), your hands won't need any kind of lotion while you quilt, and they won't itch or crack and bleed. It also helps to drink lots of water daily so your hands are not dehydrated to begin with.